When some people hear the term ‘natural remedies’ they think ‘grandma’s home remedies from yesteryear for this and that.’ While it’s true that home remedies have been passed down from one generation to the next, ‘home remedies’ are a trusted source of relief for many conditions, such as having a sore throat. If you’re interested in dabbling in a home remedy, you may want to try any of these remedies the next time you have a sore throat.
- Add honey to hot tea or water. In one study, honey seemed to be as effective as dextromethorphan, a cough suppressant ingredient. Note: Never give honey to a child younger than the age of one, due to the risk of infant botulism.
- Ease your sore throat with Echinacea. Echinacea has been shown to boost the immune system and relieve inflammation. Look for Echinacea capsules, extracts, or ointments.
- Add moisture into the air with a humidifier. Adding moisture into the air may soothe your sore nose and throat.
- Eat something soft and cold--like frozen yogurt!--to help soothe your throat.
- Gargle with salt water throughout the day. It’s as simple as mixing ½ teaspoon of salt into 1 cup of warm water.
- Now’s the time to nap. Give your body a break by resting your voice and body.
If your sore throat does not seem to be getting better or if you have a fever in addition to a sore throat, you should see your doctor.